Add a Product - Create a New Product Item Record
1. Read chapter of Administrator Manual titled “Item/Products Catalog Features in Detail”.
2. As a pre-requisite to creating new product item records, follow the steps outlined in the tutorial titled “Setup a Product Catalog and Online Shopping”.
3. Go to Site Administration Menu.
4. Click on the Items/Products add icon located in the Content Mgmt. section.
5. Leave Feature field set to Products (the default value) and Type field set to Product (the default value).
6. Enter a name in the Product Name field. This is the name that will be displayed in the Product Catalog.
7. Enter the standard price into the Sales Price field. This is the dollar amount for a single unit. Use a decimal for cents. You may also create separate Price Group Pricing including volume pricing. See the tutorial titled “Setup Customer Price Groups and Volume Pricing”.
8. If your organization uses part numbers or SKUs, enter this in the Product Code field.
9. If applicable, you may enter a List Price which can be displayed in the Product Catalog to show customers the comparison with your Sales Price. List Price is only used for display and is not used to determine the price for ordered items.
10. If applicable, select a Product Type from the list box.
11. If applicable, select a Manufacturer from the list box and enter the Manufacturers Model Number and Manufacturers Product Code.
12. If you have the Initial Inventory Entry enabled, then you may enter the unit cost in the Cost field; otherwise, the cost will be calculated by the system each time new quantities of the Item are received in Inventory.
13. Select a Unit Type from the list box. Unit Type is displayed in the Shipping Catalog Product Details page.
14. You may enter a Shipping Weight per unit of the Item. This should be entered in the same unit of measure that is used for Shipping Rates based on Weight. Typically this is entered in pounds and a decimal is used for ounces. You may use another unit of measure such as Kilograms. The key is to use a consistent unit of measure for all Items.
15. Select one of the following Costing Methods:
a. Average Cost - calculates cost using the average cost of the Item’s inventory on hand.
b. Specified Cost – uses the value entered in the Cost field.
16. If the Item comes in different colors and sizes you need to separately define each color and size using the Colors and Sizes input fields:
a. To add a color, first enter the name of the Color in the Colors text box, then click the add icon to add the item to the list control located directly below the Colors text box.
b. If you want to display sample color swatches in the Shopping Catalog, then with the color highlighted in the list control, such as “Fire Coral Red” click on the color palette icon to open the color palette pop-up window.
c. Check the applicable color and click the Save & Close button. Note that the display of colors is dependent on each visitors monitor, graphics card, etc.
d. To add a size, first enter a description of the Size in the Sizes text box, then click the add icon, to add the item to the list control which is located directly below the Sizes text box.
17. Enter a Short Description of up to 255 characters. The Short Description can be displayed in Product Catalog Category listings.
18. Enter a Long Description. The Long Description is displayed on the Product Details page. This may be entered as text into the memo field or it can be created using the HTML Document Editor. See the tutorial “Create a Web Page Using the HTML Document Editor”.
19. Specify if the Item is taxable. Set to Yes to collect sales tax when customer’s address is in taxable district. The sales tax rate is determined based on the customer’s sales tax district. Set to No to exclude this item from sales tax.
20. Specify if the Item is inventoried. Set to Yes, when you want to track the quantity in inventory. Set to No when you do not want to track inventory for the item or when the item is not kept in stock.
21. Specify whether to display the Item in the Products Mini Browser on the Home page. Set to Yes to promote the product on the home page; otherwise set to No.
22. Configure the GL Accounts. The GL Accounts default to the values specified in Product & Inventory Features Management.
23. If applicable, enter the Purchasing information.
24. Define Keywords using the Product Details feature.
a. Click on a Category / Label to highlight it.
b. Enter a keyword or phrase into the Keyword/Value text box.
c. Click the Add icon to add it to the Result Set.
d. Repeat for each Keyword / Phrase.
25. You may assign the Product Item to Product Catalog Categories using the Instant Publishing option or you may do this later from Products Catalog Management. To use the Instant Publishing option, click a Category in the list control. You may hold down the Control Key and click additional categories. By default only two levels are displayed. This is done to improve page loading time. To display additional levels change the number of levels in the Categories Level text box and click the update icon located next to it. This will refresh the page.
26. Click on the Browse button located to the right of the Update Large Picture textbox to upload a jpg or gif image that is viewable on the Product Detail page when the small picture is double clicked. The optimal resolution for images is 96 DPI. Higher resolutions take longer to load affect overall performance without any appreciable improvement in quality.
27. Using the file dialog box select the picture file to upload.
28. Repeat for Small picture to upload a jpg or gif image that is viewable on the Product Detail page, in Product Catalog Category Listings, and in Product Mini Browser. The optimal resolution for images is 96 DPI. Higher resolutions take longer to load affect overall performance without any appreciable improvement in quality.
29. It is suggested to Leave Resize to Fit set to Yes, which is the default value. When set to Yes, the image dimensions will be resized to properly fit the page. When set to No, the image will be displayed using its native dimensions.
30. You may select values for the other fields in Additional Description section.
31. To add a Brochure:
a. Click on the Add Brochure icon to upload a new brochure from you computer;
b. Or click on the Edit Brochure icon to create a brochure using the PORTALPRODIGY HTML Document Editor;
c. Or Enter a Resource Document ID in the text box to use an existing Brochure that is already loaded in the Resource Document Library;
d. Or click on the Search for Brochure Icon to find and link to an existing Brochure that is already loaded in the Resource Document Library.
32. Click the Save option button at the bottom of the page to save the Item. As a time saver to eliminate scrolling to the bottom of the page, you may right click anywhere on the Items Management page to display a pop-up menu that contains duplicates of the option buttons located at the bottom of the page.
33. If you created both Sizes and Colors, as part of the Save process PORTALPRODIGY displays the Item Inventory List page:
a. By default Portal Prodigy creates inventory records for all combinations of sizes and colors that you entered.
b. Uncheck each combination that you do want included in your Product Catalog.
c. Click the Proceed button to save the selections.
d. If you have the option to enter Initial Inventory turned on in Product & Inventory Features Management you may enter your initial inventory quantities as follows:
· Click on the Inventory link displayed at the bottom of the Items Management page to display the Inventory Management page.
· If you are using Product Codes, enter a Sub Code for each color / size combination.
· You may also the manufacturers Sub Code for each color / size combination.
· Enter the current quantity on hand into the Qty. OnHand field for each color / size combination.
· Enter the current quantity of your Qty. OnHand that is committed to orders into the Qty. Committed field for each color / size combination.
· Enter the current quantity that is committed to orders that is not on hand (on backorder) into the Qty. CommittedBO field for each color / size combination.
· When finished click the Close button and confirm save.
34. PORTALPRODIGY returns to the Item Management page where you can click the Close button. If prompted to confirm save, select yes.